2022 Contest Now Open
2022 Starlight Community Theater Playwriting Contest
The purpose of this contest is to encourage new works for the stage by providing an opportunity to engage in the playwriting process. Starlight Community Theater values the time and talent needed to write a play. The winner of the Starlight Community Theater Playwriting Contest will receive a staged reading and given consideration for a full production in subsequent seasons.
1. Open to all Arizona residents excluding current Starlight Community Theater Board members and their immediate families.
2. Submission must be a full-length play (90-120 minutes) suitable for family audiences. Musicals and short plays will not be considered.
3. Submissions can be an adaptation. If the original work is not in the public domain, submission must include permission from the original author.
4. Submissions that have been previously produced will not be considered.
5. One submission per playwright.
6. Submissions must be in PDF format. On the COVER page, include title, playwrights name, address, phone number and email address. Please do not have any notation of playwright on subsequent pages.
7. Submissions are only accepted until 11:59pm, December 2, 2022 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Notification of winner will occur by February 28, 2023.
9. Submit questions about the contest to email@example.com.
Reinventing Rick by Frank Nelson was the winner of the 2021 Starlight Community Theater Playwriting Contest and received a staged reading on October 8, 2022. The Present Tense by Eric Bond, 2020 winner, received a virtual production on June 11-12, 2021. The 2019 winner Holy Matrimony! by Dan Marburger received a full production November 13-15, 2020. The 2018 winner was The Lost Girl, a D.H. Lawrence classic re-imagined by Germaine Shames. The Lost Girl received a staged reading on April 27, 2019.